It’s been a while between episodes but Steve’s been in hospital for a major operation plus Grant’s been travelling for airshows and also getting current in hot air balloons once again (yup, there’s a new danger area being declared for operations in the vicinity of YBLA, YWGT & YILA :) ). With Steve in hospital, Grant turns to ATC Ben for help with the intro and outro on this episode which is packed full of content, including:
- 0:07:07 – Steve & Grant catch up with Kevin Elliott, CEO of Pacific Airshow, for a post-event debrief from their Gold Goast show.
- 0:36:18 – Henry Young was 99 years old when he visited the Gold Coast show and he talked to the guys about flying Seafires during WW2 and Sea Furies in the 1950s. His story includes being in New Zealand at the start of the war, his training in the USA, flying from HMAS Sydney when it was first introduced to the Royal Australian Navy, and how he met his wife. We could have talked for hours and it was amazing to get his views on how far we’ve come since he was flying military aircraft and formation demonstrations.
- 0:51:15 – The Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service team were at the show performing a winching demonstration while also having one of their Eurocopter EC135 P2 aircraft parked on the Surfers Paradise Esplanade to help their fundraising and merch sales. The guys caught up with Paul “Gibbo” Gibson, their chief pilot, to discuss his career, the operations they undertake and his experiences flying helicopters.
- 1:05:08 – Steve & Grant also spoke with Mandy Hentschel, the Service’s Fundraising and Events Coordinator, about the efforts required to keep these vital life saving helicopters operating and available to patrol and perform rescues on Queensland’s beaches.
- 1:09:50 – Grant and ATC Ben wrap up the episode with a discussion on Ben’s activities in the world of air traffic control and performing operations from Melbourne.
Leave your message for the crew of Dumptruck 11: pacificairshowaus.com/memorial
Watch the RAAF F/A-18F Super Hornet display from on-board the aircraft: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDjhO_gq1Y&t=122s
More information about the Queensland Westpac Lifesaver rescue helicopter service, including how you can help keep them operating: www.lifesaving.com.au/about/what-we-do/westpac-lifesaver-rescue-helicopter-service
Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service have a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/westpacheliqld/
Episode title image by Grant McHerron, Southern Skies Media.
Voiceovers: Terry Daniel from Your Voice Over.