Podcast: Play in new window | Download (74.7MB)
Despite the annoying habit of our “day jobs” and families encroaching into our PCDU time, we’ve finally managed to get some time to record an episode. Steve even managed a marathon effort of post production to edit a coherent episode from our opinionated news discussion and an interview with Saj Ahmad. Go Steve! :)
Despite my best efforts to drone on endlessly, Steve’s also managed to keep the episode under 2 hours, but not by much. Hopefully this will give you heaps of fun listening as you travel to & from work, mow the lawns or do your household chores :)
Here’s how the show came together this time:
- Robinson R44 crashes on a mountain beside a massive drop
- Tiger’s IPO closes over subscribed – oh wow!
- Australia’s “self-serve” passport gates not working well
- Lie down all the way to LA: Air NZ (Thanks to Mike for pointing out the article)
- RNZAF aerobatic team lose a pilot in a training crash
- DEATH OF AIRMAN – 3RD STATEMENT (Press Release from RNZAF)
- RNZAF loses pilot in Red Checkers crash (Australian Aviation)
- Pilot doused burning plane wreck (Michael Forbes @ The Dominion Post)
- Brother pays tribute to pilot (Manawatu Standard)
- Dead air force pilot was top trainer (TV NZ)
- Red Checkers Ground Aircraft (NZ Herald)
- Death with no regrets, says pilot’s family (Iain Hyndman @ Wanganui Chronicle)
- Scathing report released on the F35 JSF project
- We review a recent “Traffic Report” from the Australian Aviation magazine (our favourite aviation magazine :)
- VH-EBK (A330) withdrawn from QF domestic and repainted in JetStar colours in Manilla
- VH-OGA (a 767-300ER) withdrawn from service
- JetConnect withdrew it’s last 300 series 737 (ZK-JNC) which has gone to storage in Tucson – entered service with Australian Airlines on Dec 31, 1988 as VH-TJB “Fortitude” – transferred to JetConnect on Jul 29th 2004
- Some new aircraft with funky names have arrived for Virgin Blue
- E-190 VH-ZPO = “Portia Macquarie”
- 737-800 VH-VUT = “Yabba Dabba Blue”
- 737-800 VH-VUR = “Star City”
- 737-800 VH-VUS = “Chitty Chitty Broome Broome”
- VB’s 737-800 VUA that was previously used for mile-high karaoke with the Black Eyed Peas as they toured Australia has been returned to normal configuration & colour scheme.
- We have a chat with Saj Ahmad about 737/A320 re-engining and lots more
- Instead of reading some listener mail, we review a recent discussion on our forum about Podcasting Beer between Turb, Grand Vizier, Scofreyjet and ourselves
- We have a stack of shout outs for this episode:
- Ms Dark Sarcasm (aka Jennifer Barry) had her first solo (YAY!). You can follow her flying adventures on her blog: A need for Airspeed
- David Optimal is now a Grade 3 instructor (YAY!). You can follow his news via his blog at DavidOptimal.com
- Robert Cigliano has started a new aviation podcast called The New Pilot Podlog
- Zyola from the Mile High Flyers podcast has been getting lots of her lady pilot friends in Hawaii’i to listen in to PCDU – go go Aussie accent power :)
- Also big thanks to our anonymous donor from Canberra
As usual, our theme music track is “YouNameIt5” by Brian Simpson (aka t3cat5) and our sound effects come from SoundSnap.com.
Wow, you guys do a great job with the shownotes and all those links!
I personally wouldn’t mind full body scans at the airport, I think it’s the ultimate technology to find out what people are carrying around on them and make flying around strangers safer. I don’t think it’s a problem as long as the person looking at the image is in a separate room (pressing a red button if there’s a problem) and can’t look up to compare the naked body image with the real face!
Wow, the R44 crash was just the day before my flight in the R22! They were lucky to put it down where they did, from the photos!!!
AFTER THE LONDON INCIDENT NOBODY WILL TRUST THESE MACHINES ANYMORE! THEY MISSED THEIR CHANCE TO PROVE THAT THEY CAN MAKE IT WORK :$