Podcast: Play in new window | Download (62.4MB)
Despite his better judgement, Bas Scheffers comes back to hang out with us once again as we discuss some of the news items from the past week or so. Topics of discussion in this episode include:
- Jetstar flight attendant gets in trouble with Facebook:
- Mile-high matchmaking: social networking service (Steve Creedy @ The Australian)
- Jetstar eyes growth in Asia, India (David McIntyre @ Brisbane Times)
- Mid-air dramas trigger action: Qantas (Steve Creedy @ The Australian)
- Qantas criticised over foreign butter (ABC News)
- Air New Zealand says demand recovering, no capacity cuts (Reuters)
- Investigations into fatal plane crashes begin (ABC News)
- Regional Express (REX) flying into Northern Queensland again:
- Smelly, fat, seat-kickers worst plane passengers (ABC News)
- Boeing Receives Australian Industry Award For F-111 Support (Aero-News.net)
- Defence told to clean up creek contamination (ABC News)
- New delay for RAAF KC-30s (Australian Aviation)
- More news of air traffic system improvements
- Virgin Blue and The Black Eyed Peas join music’s Mile High Club (Access All Areas)
Please note that our sound effects come from SoundSnap.com and our theme music track is “YouNameIt5” by Brian Simpson (aka t3cat5).
Great show this week, well done. And nice to have Bas back again. He’s a funny bugger, ain’t he? Did you have to butter him up to get him back on the show? :-)
Surprisingly, Bas came back of his own free will and without any major enticing. He must be a masochist or something :)
Great show, thanks for your work. I have one comment about episode 12 and one request in general.
First, with regards to airline reservations, I have found a dirty little secret that the airlines here in the states won’t admit to (or at least I haven’t found anyone to admit to it yet). Sometimes when I am searching for a fare trying to find the best price I will go back to the same flight in the online booking system a number of times. I believe that the computer handling the online booking is programed to notice that there are a number of hits on the flight and so it must think that it is popular… so it ups the price of the flight. I have had this happen a few times, one time I had finally decided what flight a group of us were going to take, then I let the others know and by the 3ed person who went to book, the price had gone up…. for a flight that was 4 months away!! Don’t know if your airlines are using the same program… but it seems most of them around here are!
Last, I am a private pilot in the states so I can usually figure out most of your abbreviations, but there have been a few that leave me scratching my head. I know that the podcasts I listen to from here have been mentioning your podcast, so there is a good chance you are getting a fair amount of us “Yanks” listening to your podcast, so if you can break down your abbreviations every now and then it would be great… for the record, you did do that with some of them over the last 2 shows and it helps quite a bit.
Thanks again, I have enjoyed listening so far!
Hey no problem Chris! If you ever need clarification on those abbreviations, just drop us a line here and we’ll be glad to sort it out for you.
Many thanks for listening and taking the time to write!