Podcast: Play in new window | Download (65.9MB)
Back in March we attended the Centenary Air Show at Melton airport near Diggers Rest (a short drive from Melbourne). In addition to being a great air show that celebrated 100 years of powered flight in Australia, this was also the first event where we had media passes. We recorded lots of great interviews, caught up with Owen Zupp and bumped into a few old friends.
It’s now 6 months on and we’re finally getting an episode out with these interviews plus a wrap-up chat we had with Owen Zupp after he finished his “There and Back” fund raising flight around Australia. We’ve been meaning to get this content out for a while but have had so many other things to do, it just kept getting put on the back burner.
Finally we’re able to present these interviews along with a more recent chat we had with Glyn Butchard, the organiser of the Centenary Air Show. We caught up with him this month and discussed how everything went once the dust settled and the people went home.
Here’s a list of the interviews & chats we present in this episode:
- Chris Sperou and Warren Stewart are the “Skyblazers” formation team
- Bernie Ferrie flew in a Citabria and we chatted with him while sitting under its wing
- Clin Ashton-Martin flies a gorgeous Avro Cadet biplane
- Grant’s friend Andrew Temby flew an aerobatics routine with his Yak-52TW so we had a quick chat while sitting on its wing
- Phil, Mark & Shane who were providing unicom & air show coordination services
- Grant had a quick chat with Glyn Butchard at the end of the day as everyone was leaving
- Steve & Grant have a recent chat with Glyn Butchard and we look back at how it went in the months after the show
- We chat with Owen Zupp about how things are going after his “There and Back” fundraising flight around Australia
- We give a quick shout-out to Peter Johnson from the UK who is now producing the “Across the Pond” segment for the Airplane Geeks show
NOTE: Additional music in this show was from Glenne Petersen’s “Empty Cars”