A Montage of Fun from Episode 127
We’ve released out latest episode at last and it’s got a stack of great content, including some very detailed information about planning & performing the F-18 Handling Display at the Tyabb Air Show in 2014 and doing an F-18’s preflight inspection. All that plus information about the Triton and Fire Scout unmanned aerial systems, managing the C-17 in the RAAF, the Japanese Air Self Defence Force KC-767, MAF and Mahindra’s GA-10.
Click here to access the episode.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 2:31:23 — 139.5MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
We’ve gone back into our archives to pull out some great content that we never got around to releasing before. We have some more interviews from Avalon 2015 (yes, we recorded lots didn’t we? :) ) and we also have WGCDR Tim Alsop (now a GPCAPT :) ) walking us through planning & implementing an F-18 Hornet handling display and doing a pre-flight walk-around.
A Montage of Fun from Episode 127
Thanks to the heroic efforts of Maikha (the king of the aviation selfie stick), the collection of content has been edited and put together ready for Steve to finalise and Grant to make the show notes. Send your thanks his way for having the time & energy to get it put together :)
The episode unfolds as:
- 00:01:29 – Steve & Grant take a break from Steve’s daughter’s birthday to introduce the episode.
- Avalon Coverage:
- 00:06:54 – Grant talks to SQNLDR Adrian about flying the PC-9 in the Forward Air Control role.
- 00:16:48 – Maikha catches up with Dave Wheatland from Mahindra about the GA10.
- 00:27:29 – Mike Seers from Northrop Grumman describes how the Triton UAS is providing Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS).
- 00:32:42 – Maikha speaks to three dedicated Mission Aviation Fellowship volunteers, long serving MAF Pilot Ron Watts, State MAF Advocate and retired MAF Pilot Max Chapman and MAF Promotional volunteer Daniel Prowse.
- 00:48:14 – CMDR James Walker of the US Navy talks about the upgraded Fire Scout UAS which is produced using the Bell Long Ranger helicopter.
- 00:56:38 – FLGOFF Moles talks to Grant about being a load master on the RAAF C-17.
- 01:00:58 – Grant discusses flying the RAAF C-17 with FLTLT Marshall.
- 01:06:49 – Maikha speaks to members of the Japan Air Self Defence Force (JASDF) during their visit to Avalon 2015, starting with JASDF Staff Sergeant Yoshi Uesugi (translated by Public Relations officer Major Shigenari Tomioka) regarding the JASDF’s travelling Taiko Drums band, followed by an interview with Lieutenant Colonel Takahiro Seki, the Pilot In Command of the visiting JASDF KC-767 and also the Commander of 404th Squadron from Komaki Air Force Base in Japan.
- RAAF F18 Handling Display Interviews:
- 01:15:17 – WGCDR Tim ‘Slops’ Alsop discusses his flying career from learning to fly at Tyabb and Moorabbin to his current role as CO 3SQN.
- 01:38:21 – WGCDR Tim Alsop discusses the planning and performance of the RAAF F-18 Handling Display performed for the Tyabb Air Show 2014.
- 02:06:19 – Grant catches up with FLGOFF Michael ‘Newbs’ Newby to discuss his flying background and career to date the with RAAF.
- 02:14:47 – WGCDR Tim Alsop walks us through an F-18 Hornet preflight.
- 02:26:14 – Steve & Grant wrap up the episode.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 2:05:08 — 115.4MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
They say patience is a virtue and hopefully our audience has plenty of it because it’s been a while since our last episode was released. Fortunately we’ve been able to make some time available to record content, edit it and get this episode into the feed. For this one Steve & Grant are joined by Maikha Ly for interviews with guests on topics including Emirates recruiting, photography at Melbourne Airport, the inaugural Womens’ World Hot Air Balloon champion and breaking an ATC simulator (no, really, Maikha somehow managed to do it!).
Want to fly for Emirates?
(Image courtesy of Victor Pody – www.victorpodyphotography.com)
This episode unfolds as:
- 0:09:17 – Emirates are recruiting people from around the world to join their expanding crew ranks, both in the cockpit and the cabin. We speak with Andy Longley, Emirates’ Recruitment Manager (Flight Operations) about the airline, their selection criteria & process and career opportunities. With an expanding fleet of aircraft including a healthy collection of Airbus A380s & Boeing 777s, there are plenty of good reasons to consider flying with Emirates. If you’re interested in joining them, check out the Emirates Careers page for more information.
- 0:56:39 – Steve catches up with Anna Gillett from Melbourne Airport to clarify a few issues relating to aircraft spotting & photography options at the airport, especially with the recent introduction of the Terminal 4 car park.
- 1:06:45 – Back in 2014 Grant caught up with Nicola Scaife who had recently become the inaugural Womens’ World Hot Air Balloon Champion. They chat about how she got started in ballooning, her career as a commercial balloon pilot, developing her competition skills, winning the championship and what it’s like to compete alongside (and at times against) her husband.
- 1:42:32 – During the Avalon Airshow in 2015, Maikha traded his turboprop for the Control Tower as he had a try at Airservices Australia’s Air Traffic Control Tower simulator with Peter McMillan.
- 1:51:49 – Steve, Grant & Maikha wrap up the episode with the news that:
- PCDU will be at the Tyabb Air Show in March (we’re once again producing the official air show DVD)
- We’ll also be at Wings Over Illawarra on the 30th of April & 1st of May where, in addition to producing the official air show DVD, Steve & Grant will be joining Peter “Ando” Anderson on the commentary team.
- The Kyneton Air Show will be in October and although it’s a long way off it’s looking very promising.
Photo credit: Cover art image courtesy of Victor Pody
(Updated on September 1st, 2014)
It’s been months in the making but we’ve finally completed production of the Tyabb Air Show 2014 DVD and it’s available for purchase for AUD$25 (plus postage & handling) through the Peninsula Aero Club. You can call them on +61 3 5977 4406 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order.
Even the cover looks great :)
Featuring stunning in-cockpit video from a number of aircraft (including the F/A-18) along with beautiful slow-motion footage & pilot commentaries, the Tyabb Air Show 2014 DVD does more than just recreate the crowd’s view of the airshow. The main air show feature shows:
- Planning & Preparation
- Show Opening (with Southern Knights & Paul Bennet)
- Tiger Moths & Pups
- RAN Taipan Pairs display team
- RAAF trainer formation
- Wirraway & Boomerang
- WWII Fighters
- Chris Sperou’s aerobatic routine
- CAC Sabre
- Vietnam battle re-enactment
- Sky Aces formation aerobatics
- GA-8 Airvan
- Pitts Special vs Mercedes AMG race
- US Trainers
- R22 demonstration
- F/A-18 Hornet handling display
- Hornet & Mustang heritage formation
- Missing man formation & show close
In addition to the air show main feature, the DVD also includes the following extras:
- Chris Sperou narrates his aerobatic display
- Paul Bennet takes you through his solo aerobatic display
- WGCDR Tim Alsop tells you how the F/A-18 handling display is flown
- Tyabb in Slow Motion
The DVD is getting great reviews from early purchasers and at this price, it’s a no-brainer to buy a copy :)
Update: September 1st, 2014:
The DVD has been spotted in the wild with these photos showing it on the shelves at Skylines Aviation Supply shop at Moorabbin Airport. Woo hoo! :)
Tyabb Air Show 2014 DVD on the shelves at Skylines
Tyabb Air Show 2014 DVD getting ready to display on the screen
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:28:46 — 61.4MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
After a break due to injuries, surgery & a wedding, we’re back on deck and our first episode for 2014 is packed with Down Under aviation goodness :)
From Matt Hall & the return of the Red Bull Air Race to flying in a pair of C130Js over Melbourne
From Matt Hall
and the long awaited return of the Red Bull Air Race
to our media flight in a pair of C130Js over Melbourne to promote the RAAF’s Centenary of Military Aviation air show
, this episode really got us exited for the year ahead.
Our first episode for 2014 unfolds as:
- Steve & Grant chat about surgery, a wedding and some recent media publicity after a couple of unusual hot air balloon landings in Melbourne
- 0:12:35 – We chat with Matt Hall about the long awaited return of the Red Bull Air Race and get lots of great info about the changes to the race itself, his new team, how they’ve been preparing and the telemetry system he’s using.
Is ATC Ben excited or nervous to be on the C130J media flight? :)
Steven Pam is clearly excited to be on the C130J media flight :)
- 0:46:20 – Steven Pam & ATC Ben got to represent PCDU at a recent RAAF C130J media flight over Melbourne to promote the Centenary of Military Aviation air show at Pt Cook on March 1st & 2nd. In the process they recorded the following content:
- Air Commodore Phil Byrne (RAAF’s Head of Special Events) talking about the historical significance of Pt Cook and the RAAF’s preparations for their Centenary of Military Aviation air show
- David Gardner (Director, RAAF Museum) talks about the Bristol Boxkite replica
- Flight lieutenant Matt Fleet, an RAF C130J pilot on exchange with the RAAF
- Sergeant Greg Milne, an RAAF C130J loadmaster
The view of Melbourne from a RAAF C130J’s ramp
Even the RAAF are getting into the GoPro action for this flight :)
- We have some announcements:
- PCDU will be at the Tyabb Airshow 2014 (A Salute to Veterans) on Sunday, March 9th and are looking forward to catching up with any of you who can be there
- We want your stories, especially “grass roots” content and, as Steve Riley wrote in about, more “stories about flying”
We have some shout outs:
The view from the C130J’s cockpit is spectacular, even without another aircraft in close formation
- Thanks to Steve’s surgical staff for doing his knee reconstruction, including Mr Eden Raleigh, Dr Peter Larkins & Dr Joshua Hoppe from the Epworth Hospital
- Thanks to Pieter Johnson & David Vanderhoof for the long-distance support from around the world to help Steve get through some difficult times
- Steve wants to thank Grant & the rest of the PCDU team for helping out with the Australia Desk episodes while he was recovering
- Thanks to the Hangar 49 & Aviation Xtended podcasts for being brave enough to let Grant join them when recording their latest episodes (Hangar 49’s “G’Day Mate” … Aviation Xtended’s “Plane Crazy”)
- Good luck to Dave Gray (formerly from the Lifestyle PodNetwork) who is currently battling melanoma
- Thanks to the RAAF for inviting us to attend the C130J media flight
- Twitter user 555UHZ is posting the movie Top Gun as a series of frames (with subtitles), one every half hour or so. Now that’s dedication! :)
Here’s the video Steven Pam put together following the C130J media flight:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (78.7MB)
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
After a long break from the show, Ben Ippolito (aka ATC Ben – ATCBen.PCDU@gmail.com) returns in this packed episode to tell us about getting current again, wrap up the Tyabb airshow and answer some of your ATC questions. We also bring on a new sponsor (OzRunways) who helped us get to the recent Parafield airshow (more on that in a later episode).
We start by chatting with Ben about the steps he took to regain currency after spending a few years focussing on becoming an Air Traffic Controller. After this, we move into our Tyabb Airshow content:
- 08:32 – Peter Bernardi & John Brett from the Peninsula Aero Club discuss the history of the show, the challenges in making it happen (the paperwork!), their involvement in the show and their aviation histories
- 22:46 – Grant chats with Paul Bennett from MaxxG Aerobatics about his aviation background, winning aerobatic competitions, flying his Pitts Special and flying warbirds
- 29:37 – Jim & Jenny Wickham talk to Grant about their 3/4 scale P51s & the latest news in Wicko’s world
- 34:56 – Scott Taberner talks about flying his 1941 Ryan ST3-KR & his flying history
- 39:44 – Mark Pracy from JetRide Australia gives us an update on the 2012 race, his perspective on the Reno crash and their expanding fleet of L39s & their new Glasair
- 47:51 – Doug Thomas talks about the Pelican Amphibian, a Russian designed seaplane and the only one in Australia
- 53:22 – Squadron Leader Adrian Burge talks about the CT4
- 57:29 – Peter Clements & Steve Death tell us about the history of the Southern Knights
- 61:04 – Guy Bourke talks to us about flying the T6 Harvard (or Texan if you’re from the USA :), the P51, the Spitfire, the P40 and the Lockheed Hudson as well as which aircraft he dreams of flying
- 67:48 – Matt Hall on making it down to Tyabb despite the weather, his recent back surgery, how his routine has modified since Avalon, his first aircraft vs car race, his new projects for 2012 & his rotary license
- 79:46 – Tim Connell returns to reprise his Timbo’s Tarmac sessions from Avalon 2011
- 81:13 – Peter Bernardi – post show
Following all this great content, Steve, Grant & Ben review their experiences & highlights of the Tyabb show then at 88:42 Ben answers a few ATC questions that have come in:
- Handling emergencies
- Who decides whether an airport is closed
- Who decides runway configurations during operations
Big thanks to Allan VP, ATC Ben, Steven Pam & Chris for their help on the day at Tyabb.
* The Aus Air Services advert is provided courtesy of Star FM 94.3
* Cover art by Chris Visscher & David Vanderhoof