Team PCDU will be driving our gear over 800km to attend AusFly 2013 in Narromine, NSW over September 12th to 15th. Once again we’ll be running AusFly Radio over the PA system and, all going well, streaming it to the ‘net & out to a low-powered FM transmitter. We’ll also be providing commentary for the air displays and meeting up with exhibitors to discuss their operations, products & histories.
Commentary from the Perch during AusFly 2012
Sounds like a fun but busy time for sure!
We’re working closely with the organisers to arrange where we’ll be based this year (a little closer to the action, this time :) ) and AusFly 2013 is shaping up to be a great event with lots of enhancements based on feedback & experience from last year.
Will you be there? Let us know and we’ll try to catch up in Narromine :)
It’s over 800km & about 10 hours of driving from Melbourne to Narromine :)
We had a fantastic time at AusFly over the 14th to 16th of September at Narromine Airport. Our AusFly Radio was played live over the PA system and livestreamed to the Internet thanks to LiveATC.net and our Shoutcast feed.
Congratulations to all the organisers & volunteers from the SAAA who helped make it happen, along with the sponsors, exhibitors & display pilots plus all the people who showed up to attend the event. With over 300 aircraft pre-registered it was estimated that over 400 aircraft flew in. The aero club produced over 500 meals on the Friday night in addition to the pizza guy selling out & the burger n chips cart doing a roaring trade. Fantastic!
Now the planning starts for next year’s event. Bring it on!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:39:37 — 68.4MB)
After three years of lamenting the hassles involved in getting to the West Coast of Australia to report on aviation happenings wwwaaayyy over there on the other side of the big empty, we’ve finally done something about it: we’ve set up a PCDU-WestCoast office and found someone just as aviation-crazy as we are to run it :)
In this episode we introduce Ben Jones who is based in West Australia and has a long and fascinating history of aviation. Clearly it’s in his blood as most of his family are into aviation while Ben himself is a pilot, home builder, member of the RAAF reserve and much much more. He’s even started a blog called WA Aviator to record his aviation activities ‘over there.’
There’s more to the episode than introducing Ben, however, and here’s what you’ll find in it:
- 0:02:29 – We bring Ben in & start chatting about his background in aviation, the aviation scene in West Australia and his current projects.
- 0:26:58 – We chat with Sussan Ley, Federal Member for Farrer, Commercial Pilot and one of the two people responsible for starting the “Friends of Aviation” group in Federal Parliament. With only a half hour window to chat with Sussan, we had to jump through a number of subjects in only a short time. Hopefully we can return to chat again with Sussan in the near future as it sounds like there are plenty of additional stories for us to listen to as well as updates on progress with Friends of Aviation group :)
- 0:53:02 – Mark Pracy from JetRide Australia and Pracy Racing joins us to talk about their preparation for the Reno Air Races this year. We discuss the Galloping Ghost crash, the changes made to address the issues it raised and Mark’s training & preparation techniques.
- 1:11:04 – David Brown from the Sport Aviation Association of Australia chats with Steve about the AusFly event being held at Narromine over September 14th to 16th.
We also have a very special announcement about AusFly: We’ve been invited to attend and provide commentary, narration and general radio services during the show. We’ll be there with a PA system, low powered FM transmitter and a live-stream to the Internet via LiveATC and our MyRadioStream link. Check it out at:
Finally, at 1:24:13 we have a few shout outs to cover:
- Richard Pollard (the voice of the JetRide ads) is heading back to New Zealand to start a new chapter in his life.
- Andrea Crook (our awesome voice-over lady) is launching her own podcast network: the Waffle Network
- Steve gives HUGE thanks to Gary Mac for helping him with some voice-over training during the past couple of months. Check out Steve’s even more dulcet tones, folks! :)
- Well done to the Airplane Geeks for getting sponsorship from AOPA
- If you’re in West Australia, check out the Sport Builders Club of WA who are holding their annual fly-in on September 30th at Serpentine Airfield, which also happens to be right about the same time as the WestFly event
- Thanks to JetRide Australia and OzRunways for renewing their sponsorship of our show!